During the week, do you ever feel rushed to get ready, rushed to get to work, have to throw empty water bottles in the floor bed because you don’t have an empty cup holder for your coffee? Get to work and realize you have lint all over your pants, mismatched socks, and a wrinkled top? Driving home, do you pick up a 20 piece McDonalds chicken nug combo because you forgot to go grocery shopping and don’t “feel” like cooking dinner now, JUST to realize your gas light is on and you forgot to stop by the bank to deposit your check.
You, my friend, are the perfect candidate for a Get Your Sh** Together day (GYST Day).
(Inspired by Kalyn Nicholson.)
A Get Your Sh** Together Day is literally what is sounds like.. you take one day during the week/weekend and dedicate that to completely revamping and reorganizing your life. Maybe you have a super-busy schedule with no days off – never fear, you can divide, schedule, and conquer to morph GYST Days into structured, daily GYST Hours.
NOTE: If you don’t use a daily agenda or journal to write down your objectives and goals, you may want to run to the Dollar Tree or order you a nice big agenda off Amazon. As much as I love all things digital, there’s nothing more satisfying than putting a nice big X through something you have accomplished in writing.
A GYST Day can be planned hour-by-hour, or can be a running list of to-dos you want to get accomplished before EOD or the Sunday Scaries start creeping in.
My GYST Day looks something like this:
Saturday, December 2nd 2017
- Call and catch up with grandma, dad, sister, best friends, and boyfriend.
- Clean and organize makeup drawers/vanity area
- Organize office/throw away scratch papers from the previous week
- Update work status sheet with project timelines and client comments
- Wrap Christmas presents
- Make a list of Christmas presents left to buy
- Create Christmas cards
- Gather addresses for Christmas cards, buy stamps, and mail out cards
- Create/update expense organizer and check off bills that need to be paid
- Schedule next upcoming monthly payment
- Clean out car and run through a car wash
- Research top stocks for 2018 (I use Robinhood)
- Start a load of laundry
- Organize laundry room
- Wash all linens, blankets, and lint roll alllllllll the pillows
- Create a weekly list of Antler + Ivy graphics for the month of January
- Create a weekly list of blog posts for the month of January
- Create a weekly list of YouTube videos to make for the month of January
- Schedule Bubba’s vet appointment (checkup, needs shots updated)
- Draft response emails to any clients that were unanswered last week. (Be sure to write these down so you can just click “send” Monday morning.)
- Go grocery shopping
- Do the dishes
- Vaccum/mop everything
- Dust off records/TV/Entertainment area
- Organize closet and donate items that I no longer wear
- Organize chest of drawers
- Water the plants
- Buy new plants if old plants have died since last GYST Day
- Meal prep, ONLY f that’s something you ENJOY.. the worst feeling in the world is sitting in the kitchen putting chicken into plastic containers for a week and realizing on day 2.5 you hate chicken and let it all go to waste. I personally tried HelloFresh and did the 4-day meal plan for 2. Best decision I’ve ever made. I’ll be writing a blog post on this soon.
- Organize Spotify playlists
- Organize Pinterest boards
- Mediate/practice mindfulness
- Learn something new in Photoshop
- Update Antler + Ivy Facebook.
- Research affiliate marketing
- Research SEO tactics
- Learn new video editing video skills
- Learn something new in computer coding
- Research online/remote continuing education classes for Social Media Management
- Delete old emails
- Fill desktop calendar a month in advance with upcoming work events, fun events, blog posts, graphics, gym goals.
- Fill notebooks with lists of: Poems, bucket lists, books to read, TV shows to watch, mood boards, dream house, coupons, music to listen to, records to buy, dogs to adopt, etc.
Naturally, there’s no way I can get to all of these items in one day, and that is O-K! I know what I need to prioritize in order to feel a sense of accomplishment and peace of mind. If you’re feeling inspired and ready to take on your first GYST Day, comment below and let me know what you’re going to accomplish today!